If you’ve always wanted a whiter, brighter smile, ask Dr. Simon about at home tooth whitening. Under the doctor’s supervision, you can whiten your teeth in a matter of days with a safe, comfortable and effective whitening process. At home bleaching is:
The most economical professional whitening solution
Best for people who have basically healthy and well-proportioned teeth and who want a whiter smile immediately
HOW IT WORKS
- First, we’ll take impressions of your upper and lower teeth. These will allow us to make custom gel-holding appliances called bleaching trays.
- In your second visit, you will be fitted with the trays. You’ll also be given the whitening gel and specific instructions on how to administer it and how often to wear your trays.
- Follow the take-home directions carefully, continuing to maintain proper oral hygiene through brushing and flossing. Maximum aesthetic results will be obtained in most cases two weeks after following the specified procedures.
For more information about at home bleaching and whether it’s right for you please call us today at (203) 883-4433 or request a free consultation.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Research indicated that whitening the teeth with carbamide peroxide under the supervision of a dentist is safe for teeth and gums.
Results are usually seen in the first day. Maximum results generally occur when the process is continued for about 5 nights depending on your individual teeth.
Some people experience increased tooth sensitivity to cold during the treatment. Others have reported temporary discomfort, such as gum or tooth sensitivity. These symptoms disappear within 1-3 days after treatment stops.
It’s actually a bleaching process that lightens discoloration of enamel and dentin. The system uses a mild solution retained in a custom-fitted appliance that is worn over your teeth while you sleep.
The whitening gel is placed in a thin bleaching tray that fits over your teeth. As the active ingredient in the gel, carbamide peroxide, is broken down, oxygen enters the enamel and dentin and bleaches the colored substances. The structure of the tooth is not changed, only the tooth color is made lighter.
There are many causes. The most common include aging, consumption of staining substances (coffee, tea, colas, tobacco), trauma, tetracycline (antibiotic) staining, excessive fluoride, nerved degeneration, and old restorations.
Who may benefit from tooth whitening?
Almost everyone. However, there are some cases where the treatment may not be effective. A dentist may determine viable candidates for the process through a thorough oral examination and diagnosis. The tooth-lightening system is ideal for patients who have healthy, unrestored teeth and would like to have a whiter, brighter smile.
- You can whiten your teeth comfortably and effectively in private.
- The bleaching trays are custom fitted to models of your teeth so the bleaching materials are in full contact with your teeth for better whitening results unlike do-it-yourself kits that leave gaps and spotty whitening.
- Furthermore because the trays are custom fit you won’t have the problem of a lot of the material leaking and you inadvertently swallowing it.
- And lastly the materials used for whitening are selected for your best results.
The teeth will be lighter than they were. To minimize future staining try to avoid things that might stain clothing like red wine, colas and meat sauces. To keep your teeth looking their best, you might need periodic re-bleaching for one or two days every four to six months as needed. But this is under your total control at home so save your trays and models.
Yes! Remember to save your models and bleaching trays for future touch-up bleaching. All you’ll need is to purchase whitening gel. If you lose your models or bleach trays you’ll have the added expense of replacing them.